© 2009 - Blackfriars Highland Pub & Restaurant All rights reserved.
The Blackfriars building in Academy Street was built around 1793 and was originally used as a general provisions store and coffee house up until 1867, when it became “Frasers Temperance Hotel”.
It continued to trade as “Frasers“ until about 1930 when it once again changed its name, trading as an Artisans bar named “The Academy Bar” with the Rose Street Foundry across the road now in full production.
History of Blackfriars
In 1964 the premises were bought by “Scottish and Newcastle Breweries”, renamed the “Abertarff” (a reference to the oldest house in Inverness built in 1593) and continued to trade being very popular with patrons and artists visiting “The Empire Theatre” a hundred yards up Academy Street.
In 1986 the pub was renamed “The Rose and Thistle”, but only for a short time. In fact this name lasted just two weeks before it was re-named again to “The Foundry”. Unfortunately this was just before the closure of the foundry across the road.